Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Testing

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
Published June 4, 2013

About the Book:


Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Isn’t that what they say? But how close is too close when they may be one in the same? 



The Seven Stages War left much of the planet a charred wasteland. The future belongs to the next generation’s chosen few who must rebuild it. But to enter this elite group, candidates must first pass The Testing—their one chance at a college education and a rewarding career. 
Cia Vale is honored to be chosen as a Testing candidate; eager to prove her worthiness as a University student and future leader of the United Commonwealth. But on the eve of her departure, her father’s advice hints at a darker side to her upcoming studies--trust no one. 
But surely she can trust Tomas, her handsome childhood friend who offers an alliance? Tomas, who seems to care more about her with the passing of every grueling (and deadly) day of the Testing. To survive, Cia must choose: love without truth or life without trust.




My Thoughts:

Wow!  I really loved this book and can't wait to read the other two in the trilogy.  I ordered them as soon as I finished this one and have them waiting.  Dystopian literature is definitely one of my favorite genres of literature, and this will take its place at the top of my list of favorite series I feel quite sure.  At least one book in, I actually like it as well if not better than The Hunger Games.  As with all dystopian series, there are elements of others that can be found in this one.  They have tendencies to mirror each other in ways, while still taking fresh approaches in their world building and plot points.  One of the major strengths of this series is Cia.  She is a wonderfully written main character.  She's a strong and intelligent female lead who has so many admirable qualities.  She's interested in engineering, science, and math, and she is brilliant in those areas as well.  I think she's a great literary role model for tween and teen girls.  I also really like that the book presents so many questions about humanity and morality in a way that makes you really think about them.  I'll have lots more to say about the series as I finished the 2nd and 3rd books I'm sure.  For now, I'll just say that I HIGHLY recommend this one!

One more thing I almost forgot to mention!  I am going to have the opportunity to meet this author (and many others) next month at the Texas Teen Book Festival.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment