Sunday, June 8, 2014

Stolen

Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Published May 4, 2009

About the Book:

It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.

This is my story.

A letter from nowhere. 


Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? 

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

My Thoughts:

This is a book I kept seeing at Half Price Books and have been curious about for a couple of years.  When stocking up on books for my reading challenge, I finally picked up a copy.  I'm so glad that I did because it is a beautiful book.  It's written in a way that makes the reader understand Stockholm Syndrome.  As the reader, I felt just as conflicted as Gemma about Ty and what to think of him.  He did something wrong, but it's hard not to feel for him.  Lucy Christopher has written such interesting and complex characters in this book.  The Australian desert is almost like a character itself as well.  Great book, highly recommend! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I've seen this book around forever but never really knew what it was about... will definitely have to read! Another story involving kidnapping (but more along the lines of the stories we hear about women being found years later after a man has snatched them and locked them away) is Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott... So dark. Really liked it (but it was a lot to process).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought Stolen, so you can borrow it from me. I have that Living Dead Girl one on my Amazon wishlist, so I'll be sure and get it to read when I get through the fifty or so books I have waiting to be read. LOL!

    ReplyDelete