Monday, June 2, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Published January 10, 2012

About the Book:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Thoughts:

This was a re-reading, as I first read the book the week it came out.  I hadn't read it again since and wanted to read it again prior to the release of the film adaption.  Funny enough, I actually own 7 copies of this book despite only having read it the one time prior to now.  I can't help myself; when they come out with a new cover or special edition of it, I have to buy it!  I wanted to even collect the international editions of the book, but they aren't that easy to come by.

Anyway, I actually had the pleasure of seeing the film a couple weeks ago at an early screening thanks to an amazing friend of mine, Sarah.  At first, I was going to read it before that early screening, but I decided to wait and read it after the screening but before the actual release of the film.  We (my daughters, my friend Sarah, and myself) have tickets for the Thursday night early release, and then I'll be seeing the movie again on Friday for the actual opening night for my girls' early birthday celebration with friends of theirs and my mom and sister.  

The film is easily the best adaption of a book to film that I've ever seen.  It also easily eclipsed all other favorite films of mine.  It is beautiful and heartbreaking, but at the same time, it's hopeful.  I truly loved seeing one of my favorite books ever brought to life in a way that was so true to it.  So many film adaptions are such a disappointment.  And, I wanted to read the book again to be able to compare the two with both fresh in my mind.  I was completely blown away by discovering I might actually like the movie slightly better than the book.  

I crazy adore John Green and love each and every one of his books.  He's truly amazing.  After seeing the film, though, there are bits and pieces of the book that feel extraneous somehow.  That may not be the right choice of words, but I'm not sure how else to put it.  None of it is bad by any means.  The book just has more to the story, which is not a bad thing.  The movie is all of the perfect bits and pieces, and I love that in it you get more of Gus and Isaac and all of the secondary characters, such as Hazel's parents that the book can't give you because of being written in 1st person narrative.  I have a friend who is not a fan of 1st person narrative, and I, for the first time ever, can see what she means.  I am still fine with it, but having the film to compare shows me what is missed by it.  I feel guilty in a way admitting to all of this, but my love for John Green and this book is in no way lessened by any of this.  It's still beautiful and wonderful and one of my favorite books ever.  My love for the film perhaps is just greater than I ever loved a film or book before now.  

I don't think many who are avid readers have missed out on reading TFIOS yet.  If you somehow have missed out on it, please do remedy that.  Read the book and see the film.  You will thank me!

No comments:

Post a Comment