Monday, July 7, 2014

Forever, Interrupted

Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Published July 9, 2013

About the Book:

"Have you ever heard of supernovas? They shine brighter than anything else in the sky and then fade out really quickly, a short burst of extraordinary energy. I like to think you and Ben were like that . . . in that short time, you had more passion than some people have in a lifetime."

Elsie Porter is an average twentysomething and yet what happens to her is anything but ordinary. On a rainy New Year's Day, she heads out to pick up a pizza for one. She isn't expecting to see anyone else in the shop, much less the adorable and charming Ben Ross. Their chemistry is instant and electric. Ben cannot even wait twenty-four hours before asking to see her again. Within weeks, the two are head over heels in love. By May, they've eloped.

Only nine days later, Ben is out riding his bike when he is hit by a truck and killed on impact. Elsie hears the sirens outside her apartment, but by the time she gets downstairs, he has already been whisked off to the emergency room. At the hospital, she must face Susan, the mother-in-law she has never met--and who doesn't even know Elsie exists.

Interweaving Elsie and Ben's charmed romance with Elsie and Susan's healing process, Forever, Interrupted will remind you that there's more than one way to find a happy ending.

My Thoughts:

Oh my word, I loved this book!  It's heartbreaking and beautiful.  It's been sitting on my shelf of books to read for about a month, with me picking it up and then putting it back over and over again.  I was afraid it would be too sad, so I kept putting it off.  While it's certainly sad, it's such a great book.  The tragedy of the story is fairly immediate, and then the book takes you through Elsie's grieving and adjustment to her new reality without Ben, just as their lives together had barely started.  The book has great character development (something I'm big on), and explores the different kinds of love that we have in our lives.  It's a unique love story that covers all of the kinds of love.  It's an amazing debut for the author, and I can't wait to read her second book, which came out only a week ago.  The first chapter was at the end of this one, and it was already sucking me in.  I quickly put it in my cart on Amazon as soon as I finished reading the preview chapter!  Oh, a nice perk of the book for me was that Elsie is a librarian...it made me love her character even more.  And Ben, oh Ben...he's perfect and it makes their story so much more tragic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment