Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Matchmaker

The Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand
Published June 10, 2014

About the Book:

A touching new novel from Elin Hilderbrand in which a dying woman sets out to find love for those closest to her - before it's too late

Dabney Kimball Beech, the 48-year-old fifth generation Nantucketer, has had a lifelong gift of matchmaking (52 couples still together to her credit). But when Dabney discovers she is dying of pancreatic cancer, she sets out to find matches for a few people very close to home: her husband, celebrated economist John Boxmiller Beech; her lover journalist Clendenin Hughes; and her daughter, Agnes, who is engaged to be married to the wrong man. 
As time slips away from Dabney, she is determined to find matches for those she loves most - but at what cost to her own relationships? THE MATCHMAKER is the heartbreaking new novel from Elin Hilderbrand about losing and finding love, even as you're running out of time.


My Thoughts:

This is the second of Hilderbrand's books to read, and I really enjoyed it.  I liked it even better than the first one I read, Summerland.  Like that book, this is told from alternating points of view, or alternating focus maybe would be a better way to put it, and I really like that when it's done well.  Each character has a clear voice and the characters are well developed.  I'm wondering if all of Hilderbrand's books are written like this.  The characters are all likable (well, except for one meant to not be so likable) and realistic.  They aren't perfect people, lacking in flaws.  The one kinda odd thing was the character names; some were quite unusual and that did distract me until I got into the story.  Again, and another thing I loved, she writes of Nantucket as if it is some magical place and makes me ready to hop a plane to Nantucket ASAP.  I do love Cape Cod, but haven't made it to Nantucket yet.  It's for sure on my list after reading a couple of Hilderbrand's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment