Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Break-Up Artist

The Break-Up Artist by Philip Siegel
Published April 29, 2014

About the Book:

Some sixteen-year-olds babysit for extra cash.

Some work at the mall.

Becca Williamson breaks up couples.


Becca knows from experience the damage that love can do. After all, it was so-called love that turned Huxley from her childhood best friend into a social-world dictator, and love that left Becca's older sister devastated at the altar. Instead of sitting on the sidelines, Becca strikes back—for just one hundred dollars via PayPal, she will trick and manipulate any couple's relationship into smithereens. And with relationship zombies overrunning her school and treating single girls as if they're second-class citizens, business is unfortunately booming. Even Becca's best friend, Val, has resorted to outright lies to snag a boyfriend.

One night, Becca receives a mysterious offer to break up the most popular couple in school: Huxley and the football team's star player, Steve. To succeed, she'll have to plan her most elaborate scheme to date—starting rumors, sabotaging cell phones, breaking into cars...not to mention sneaking back into Huxley's good graces. All while fending off the inappropriate feelings she may or may not be having for Val's new boyfriend.

No one said being the Break-Up Artist would be easy.


My Thoughts:

Super cute, fun book that is a really promising debut from the author!  While Becca doesn't always make the best choices, she's a really endearing character and one you can't help but root for.  She grows a lot through the course of the book, and there are some great messages in this book for teen girls.  The writing is really fresh and fun, and it's reminiscent in ways of the movies My Best Friend's Wedding and Mean Girls.  While it's not just like either of them, it has the same vibe or something going on.  Both are movies I love, so this is a great thing in my opinion.  Also, I really love the cover art!  That is what first caught my eye about the book when I saw it online the first time. 

This was also a book where I had the pleasure of meeting the author.  I met him along with several other authors at a panel at Half Price Books last weekend (he's the lone guy in the pic below).  I didn't even realize he was on the panel, but I was excited when I got there and saw that he was as I have had this book on my Amazon wishlist for a while.  It was great to pick up the book, meet the author, and get it signed.  Siegel seemed like a really fun guy and someone it would be a blast to be friends with.  I look forward to his next book!


No comments:

Post a Comment