Friday, July 4, 2014

Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green
Published January 1, 2005

About the Book:

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

My Thoughts:

This was a re-reading for me.  I first read the book after I discovered Green through his second book, An Abundance of Katherines.  That was quite a few years ago, and I wanted to go back and re-read it (along with all of his books) as part of my summer book challenge.  It's rare for me to re-read a book actually.  The Catcher in the Rye is one of the few books I've read multiple times, as it has always been my favorite book.  Green's books are special to me too, though, and my plan is to read them all again. 

Love the book, obviously.  Green's writing is unlike no other.  He writes teens better than anyone in my view.  He gets them, and he respects them.  He doesn't underestimate them, and he writes them as intelligent and articulate.  Some who aren't fans of Green say his books aren't realistic because "teens don't talk/think like that."  I disagree!  Maybe not all teens do, but plenty of them are intelligent, witty, and articulate like Green's characters.  I know teens like this, and, in fact, gave birth to a couple of them.  I love that there is an author such as Green writing books for my daughters and their generation to read.  

Anyway, as I said, I love the book.  I love all of Green's books and give them my highest recommendation.  They are some of the best of what YA has to offer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment